Install Ricoh Driver on AIX Server
Installing print drivers for Ricoh devices in an AIX environment is a breeze. Ricoh has provided drivers that can be managed through SMIT. If the SMIT drivers do not work you can use a different method that is included with the drivers README. So far I have used the following steps to install print drivers for the Ricoh models MPC5000, MPC3300 and MP171.
- Download the driver
- Go to the RICOH USA Software Download website
- Down at the very bottom of the page there is a section called “Other available environments”. Click on UNIX.
- Insure the printer model is in the supported list.
- Click on “Go to Download”
- Fill out the registration page
- Download the driver for the appropriate printer.
- Install the driver
- On the AIX box copy the file to /opt
- Install the tar file with the command
tar –xvf filename.tar
- The driver will install in /opt/RICOH
- Go into /opt/RICOH
- Run the following command:
- Hit spacebar to go through the EULA
- Type Y and hit enter to accept the EULA
- Type Y and hit enter to choose SMIT
- The driver is now installed.
- You can now setup the printer in SMIT as you would other printers.